I don’t have much to post today but it’s Sunday which means it’s time for my weekly timesheet breakdown. This week I mostly spent working on concept sketches/illustrations for the armor which means soon I will have some of that to show you. I also started modeling another weapon, the MJ-BF, because the concept for that is already complete. I’ll talk about that weapon more when it’s complete. Here’s the breakdown:
Finally! I know I’ve kept you all in the dark so far about this character I’m working on but now I think I should finally talk about it a bit. Given that this project is, for the time being, limited to the scope of a year-long thesis project we decided to use the game’s lore to our advantage. This means that both teams in the game, being from parallel universes, can be given the exact same character model with only texture differences to differentiate them. Of course, that presents its own challenges. I need to make sure the character has enough color to allow for a distinct separation between teams. But, at the same time, I don’t want the character to be goofy. So I must be careful with my accent choices. I also want the character to be recognizable and to fit with the style of the game.
I know that in my previous post I said the next thing I talk about would be the character. And I will, I promise! But I first wanted to give you guys a quick update on the Radarts asset. After feedback from my team I updated the texture on the weapon. The lighter brushed aluminum is now a light painted metal, the green accents are darker, and overall there is more distressing. The reason I am showing you guys this is because it well illustrates the sort of detail-oriented iteration that is all too common in this process. If my team didn’t have any issues to point out after my first pass I’d have been worried. A lack of critique wouldn’t have meant my asset was perfect, it would have meant that we were overlooking the issues. There will always be changes and improvements to make, and its best to be up front and aware of them so that they can be addressed. Check out the updated texture:
I’ve been very busy this week! With meetings, concept art, and more texturing work I blew past my minimum 15 hours for a grand total of 23.5 hours worked this week. Check out the breakdown:
After not working on it for a couple days, I decided it was finally time to texture the Radarts model. Though not my first time using dDo, this was surely my most in-depth use of it. After a few mishaps and setbacks I finally nailed down my workflow (which was the main goal of this) and got the texture finished. Take a look at the finished gun:
I am, by no means, an expert on creating video games. After all, I’m just a student. But I, along with the rest of my team, have spent a lot of time planning this project and making sure everything is in order for the production phase. Organization is a key aspect of any project, but especially so for one of this scale. So let’s talk about that.
As you can imagine, I spend a lot of time working on this game project. After all, it is my thesis. So from now on I’m going to post a weekly breakdown of my time spent working on the project. My goal is at least 15 hours per week. Here’s this week’s breakdown: