It’s been nearly a year since my last post, and in that time so many things have changed. Let’s play a game of catch-up, shall we?
First off, let’s talk about Dichotomy. Ever since my graduation from RIT in May — oh, by the way, I graduated from RIT in May — the Dichotomy team has been sort of scattered. Most of us moved back to the towns we came from, which puts me about 600 miles away from everyone else. Add in the sudden stress of job searching and a dash of unreliable internet connection and it was clear what needed to happen. The Dichotomy project is officially on hold. We have discussed the possibility of re-starting development in the future once the dust has settled for all of us, but for now we have to focus on building our post-college lives.
Speaking of post-college lives, I got a job! For the last eight months I’ve been working at Eight Bit Studios in Chicago as a designer. My duties range from motion graphics to graphic design to front end development. Working at Eight Bit has been amazing so far and I’m really pleased to be here. I am still available for freelance work on the side, however, so don’t fret if you were hoping to work with me on a project.
I’ve been working on a lot of random side projects lately. Everything from websites to posters to woodworking and 3D printing. I’ll try to keep posting regularly about my random doings but be sure to keep an eye on my dribbble and tumblr pages for snippets of what I’m working on.
I’m also working on some updates to Illogical and how it ties in with my personal work, so keep on the look out for more information soon.
As predicted, this past week was pretty crazy. I spent a ton of time rendering, editing, re-rendering, finding inspiration, tweaking, more tweaking, even more tweaking, a bunch more rendering, and not sleeping. But the result was worth it. My presentation went well, I got some good feedback, and I got a chance to show off my work. And, as promised, here’s the video I created as part of my presentation:
But despite all the craziness of last week, I can’t slow down. Next Saturday is Imagine RIT and, as I mentioned two weeks ago, we will be showing off the game for the first time at the event. So this week I am going to be splitting my time between working on promotional materials and finishing up/implementing the assets that will be included in the demo. This is, of course, a very early and rough build of the game so not everything will make the cut. Additionally, many of the things that we are going to include, especially FX and sounds, will be temporary as we have only barely touched on those so far. Still, it’s really exciting to get a chance to put the game out there for the first time and to see how people feel about it.
Be sure to visit us Saturday, May 2 at RIT James E. Booth Hall in Webb Auditorium.
This week is going to be the most exciting, stressful, and overall hectic week of this project thusfar. Why, you ask? Because this is the last week of my thesis. Well, sort of. Technically we still have the rest of the year to work on touch-ups and stretch goals, but at the end of this week we are holding our final presentations. So for all intents and purposes any work I do on Dichotomy after Friday will be as an independent game developer. Exciting, huh?
After what seemed like a week years of laying out UVs (actually a few days), a month of baking maps (more like 12 hours) and a year of importing/tweaking input maps (probably 2 hours, which is a long time to sit and stare at dDo’s loading screen) I finally have first draft textures for the Mountain Goat completed.
As the end of the semester draws ever closer, my schedule seems to get exponentially busier. There’s a ton of stuff I want to get finished before our thesis defenses at the end of the month. Additionally, we were accepted into Imagine RITas exhibitors so there’s a bunch of presentation materials I want to create by then. Expect more information on that in the future.
One of the things I’m most excited about is the Mountain Goat. I talked about this vehicle a couple weeks ago and since then I’ve been working tirelessly on the model. The mid-res model is completely finished and I’m nearly finished with the high-detail and game-ready meshes.
This week was really busy for the Parallax team, or rather the Game Formerly Known As Parallax team. Yep, that’s right. Parallax is no more. A game completely unaffiliated with us was recently released under the title Parallax. Since we don’t want to give our game the same name as an existing title, we have decided to choose a new name. That new name is…
This week I was all over the place. I worked a bit on modeling, a bit on texturing, a bit on graphic design, and a bit on UE4 experiments. We are starting to think about promoting the game, and starting this week there will be a push to create renders and other images that can be used to show it off through a variety of mediums.
While I’m not ready to show off most of what I worked on this week just yet, I can show you guys this:
The grenade has textures! First draft textures, anyway. The material is missing decals and I also plan on creating a special animated texture for the liquid to make it more visually intriguing. I’ve also started working on particle effects for the game, and the grenade will need at least one (possibly up to 3, though).