You may be wondering why I’m posting my weekly update today instead of on Sunday. The reason is that my week ends a bit early this time around, thanks to RIT’s spring break. As with most breaks I am headed home for the week which means I can’t work on any assets for the game, aside from sketches. In addition to that, yesterday was Creative Industry Day, otherwise known as “the closest thing to a job fair that art students have.” So most of my week was spent preparing my portfolio and other branded materials for this event.
But there is some good news! We finally have a new title for the game, and we made sure there are no existing games that use the same name. The new name for The Game Formerly Known As Parallax is:
Catchy, huh? I like it, anyway. It’s much better than a lot of other suggestions that were tossed around. There’s no fancy logo for the new title yet, but as soon as that is completed I will be sure to show it to you guys.
I’ll be tagging all future posts with Dichotomy, and I will retroactively tag the old ones too. The Parallx tag will stay on the old posts to make them just as easy to find.
That’s all the updates I have this week. I’m not going to bother with a breakdown as I don’t have an accurate record of the amount of time I worked on Dichotomy this week but rest assured it was very little. When I get back, though, it’s back to full steam ahead!
This week was really busy for the Parallax team, or rather the Game Formerly Known As Parallax team. Yep, that’s right. Parallax is no more. A game completely unaffiliated with us was recently released under the title Parallax. Since we don’t want to give our game the same name as an existing title, we have decided to choose a new name. That new name is…
This week I was all over the place. I worked a bit on modeling, a bit on texturing, a bit on graphic design, and a bit on UE4 experiments. We are starting to think about promoting the game, and starting this week there will be a push to create renders and other images that can be used to show it off through a variety of mediums.
While I’m not ready to show off most of what I worked on this week just yet, I can show you guys this:
The grenade has textures! First draft textures, anyway. The material is missing decals and I also plan on creating a special animated texture for the liquid to make it more visually intriguing. I’ve also started working on particle effects for the game, and the grenade will need at least one (possibly up to 3, though).
This was a busy week for me. I decided that instead of working on more weapon textures it was vital that I get the character to a point that Aaron could start rigging it. After all, what’s a game without a character? So I decided to switch around my schedule a bit and work on UV mapping, baking normals to, and texturing the character. After what felt like a million hours of prep work I was finally able to bring the character into Photoshop for preliminary and secondary texture passes (like I said, very busy week). So now I have a character that’s in a pretty-close-to-but-not-quite finished state. The textures still need additional work but they’re pretty close to how I envision them. Close enough to show off, anyway:
Pretty nice, huh? I’m pleased with it, anyway. You can also see here how the color accents, taking the form of paint and lit details as well as the helmet’s visor, are prominent enough to distinguish the team colors but not so much that they dominate the armor. Things I’m still considering about the textures include extra decals (logos, military insignia, etc.) and subtle animated effects on the lights and under-suit.
This week was very busy for me. I created new textures for the logo that better match the updated style. I also worked on textures for another weapon and concept art for yet another weapon. Let’s dive in, shall we?
First up we have the logo, which has been updated with all-new textures. These textures, based on the presets I designed last week, have more subtle wear patterns that fit the cleaner look of the rest of our assets. I also went with a white painted metal as the base instead of the brushed metal from before to make the text pop a bit more, and I gave the letters brighter coloring overall. I’m pretty happy with how it turned out. And since it’s textured using the same PBR system as all of my other assets, I can bring the logo right into UE4 as an asset to include in the game.
I am feeling quite relieved as of late. For most of this project I had an expected workflow down for creating textures. Even way back in September I was working on solidifying a way of easily and accurately creating high-quality textures for all of our assets (of which there are a million, give or take 999,990 or so). But now that I actually have the process tested, I’m ready for the production pass to begin on asset textures.
Using the newest version of dDo (my old posts were made using the freely-available, slightly older version) I have created a workflow that allows me to build textures for all of the assets procedurally. The best part of this, however, is that once I create a texture I can save it as a preset. In this way I can build a library of every material found in the game and quickly apply them to new assets without much fuss. Continue reading “A Load off my Mind”→
Week 2 of the spring semester has come to a close and this time I made sure to record all of my work to prove that, yes, I have actually been productive.
First things first, I finished the normal and color maps for the shock rifle. These maps aid in the texturing process and also allow us to incorporate a lot of detail into an efficient, low-resolution mesh. This particular model tops out at around 5600 tris (triangles that every object in a game environment is made of), which is perfect for us. It also features full articulation for pieces that could potentially be modified or animated in-game, such as the clip, trigger, and scope.